St John has served the people of the Cedar Valley since 1865 and is committed to "living and sharing a passionate and life-changing faith in Jesus Christ." Over 140 years ago, a determined Christian decided that God's Word and the Holy Sacraments should be brought to the little town of Cedar Falls, Iowa. His name was Mr. G. Boehmler, a cobbler who came here from New York in 1858. From his faithfulness sprang the church we now know as St John Lutheran. In 1867, the first frame building for St John was constructed at the corner of 8th & Tremont streets. In 1944, the congregation decided that a new church building should be built and purchased land consisting of lots located between 7th & 8th along College Street in 1945. In 1961, ground was broken for the Administration and Education Building. The church marched forward with steady strides so that in 1965 the position of assistant pastor was added. 1976 marked the beginning of the St John Preschool. Construction of the Faith & Life Center addition began in 1998 with a dedication service in 1999. Now, over 2300 people call St John their church home.
St John Lutheran Church is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Working together with nearly 10,500 congregations across the U.S., Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, and nearly five million members, we are a diverse community of congregations and people who's mission to grow the kingdom of God unites us. St John is also a member of the Northeast Iowa Synod, one of 65 regional synods or communities of congregations making up the ELCA. Even closer to home, the people of St John work with the other churches in the Cedar Valley to bring Jesus' message of hope to our neighbors and friends. Come and join us!